Write a discussion on one of the topics below and ask a question.
This week, we discussed nervous system disorders and pain. Select a topic from your readings, outcomes, objectives, concepts and sub-concepts (below) and present a question that applies to a concept or a disease process, wellness or illness. Submit your question in the following formats: audio, text or webcam. Once your comment has been posted, submit responses to your peers’ questions and comments. Consider the outcomes, objectives and concepts below when formulating your initial question.
Your question and response should explain, illustrate, justify, trace, discuss, compare, contrast, agree or disagree, interpret, evaluate, and summarize.
Weekly Outcomes & Weekly Objectives
- Articulate alterations in structure and function of the neurosensory system. (CO 1)
- Trace the impact that alterations in the neurosensory system have on the body. (CO 2)
- Summarize the impact of alterations in the neurosensory system on homeostasis. (CO 3)
- Understand normal neurosensory system physiology.
- Describe common types of neurosensory disorders: causes, clinical manifestations, diagnostic tests, and treatments.
- Compare and contrast common neurosensory conditions: causes, clinical manifestations, diagnostic tests, and treatments.
- Apply understanding of alterations in the neurosensory system across the lifespan to formulate care priorities.
- Review the neurosensory systems function in pain creation and management.
- Examine responses to aging and its impact on pathophysiologic changes in the neurosensory system.
- Discuss neurosensory changes in the elderly and its effects on lifestyle.
- Describe how heredity and genetics influence pathophysiological alterations in the neurosensory system.
Main Topics and Concepts/ Subconcepts With Exemplar
- Alterations in nervous system
- Alterations in physical structures
- Alterations in function
- Cancers of the nervous system
- Pathophysiologic nervous response to aging
- Genetic influences on the nervous system
- Acid-base imbalance: seizures and altered level of consciousness
- Acute versus chronic conditions: traumatic brain injury
- Cellular regulation: brain tumor
- Fluid imbalances: diabetes Insipidus
- Pain: neuropathy
- Nutrition: dysphagia
- Functional mobility: Parkinson’s disease
- Inflammation: cerebral edema
- Genetics: demyelination (ALS and multiple sclerosis), Alzheimer’s dementia
-include 2 scholarly sources (one from book posted below, the other from a journal article or credible website)