Discussion: Positive Regard
Carl Rogers, a humanistic psychologist, believed that individuals must feel accepted for who they are in order to have a high level of self-worth (Farber & Doolin, 2011). Rogers coined the term “positive regard” to explain this concept of feeling accepted. Also, he believed that positive regard is essential to personal growth and self-actualization.
For this Discussion, view the “Johnson” video (Episode 3).
Provide a 300-word Discussion Post detailing the following:
– Your description of the purpose of this group.
– Explain the use of empowerment and strengths-based strategies.
– How does “positive regard” impact the group session in this video?
– How might you respond to Talia when she voices her skepticism of the usefulness of group sharing?
Must contain at least 4 references and citations.
Original work and must pass SafeAssgn
Toseland, R. W., & Rivas, R. F. (2017). An introduction to group work practice (8th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
· Chapter 9, “Treatment Groups: Foundation Methods” (pp. 264-294)
· Chapter 10, “Treatment Groups: Specialized Methods” (pp. 295-335)
Piper, W. E., Ogrodniczuk, J. S., Lamarche, C., & Joyce, A. S. (2006). Use of the social relations model by group therapists: Application and commentary. International Journal of Group Psychotherapy, 56(2), 191–209.
Laureate Education. (Producer). (2013b). Johnson (Episode 3) [Video file]. In Sessions. Baltimore, MD: Producer. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu