ASSIGNMENT: Your specific assignment for this module is to select a health care organization for your project and have it approved by your professor. You may consider any health care organization as long as you have enough access to the organization and/or level of understanding of that organization necessary to complete the assignment.
Note: You will not be asked to reveal any proprietary or confidential information in your reports. In addition, there are several health care organizations that do a fantastic job of publicly disclosing their health information infrastructure in an online format such as: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/the_johns_hopkins_hospital/ . If you don’t have direct access to a health care organization, you can use one of the health care organizations that provides its health information infrastructure online.
Accordingly, your selected health care organization can be:
- The organization for which you work.
- A health care organization for which a friend or relative works. You must be able to access information concerning this organization that is relevant to your SLP assignments.
- A local health care organization that is willing to share insight about how it manages health information.
- Any health care organization that makes public its approach to health information management, operations, and organizational structure.
Provide a 7- to 10-slide (not including title slide and reference slides) PowerPoint presentation on the health care organization you have selected. Provide a brief overview of the health care organization. Next, discuss the types of health care information systems the organization uses (i.e., EHR, clinical decision support, patient portals, etc.). Finally, close with describing how these systems impact patient outcomes, quality and/or safety.
Kruse, C. S., & Beane, A. (2018). Health Information Technology Continues to Show Positive Effect on Medical Outcomes: Systematic Review. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 20(2). https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.8793
Paul, R. J., Ezz, I., & Kuljis, J. (2012). Healthcare information systems: A patient-user perspective. Health Systems, 1(2), 85–95. https://doi.org/10.1057/hs.2012.17
Fichman, R. (2011). The role of information systems in healthcare: Current research and future trends. Information Systems Research, 22 (3): 419–428. Available in the Trident Online Library.
Understanding Health IT Usability through User Experience (UX). Retrieved from: https://www.himss.org/library/user-experience-healthcare-it
Cortes, P. (2011). Hospital Information Systems: A Study of Electronic Patient Records
JISTEM Journal of Information Systems Technology Management 8 (1).
- Submit a 7- to 10-slide (not including title slide and reference slides) PowerPoint presentation on the health care organization you have selected.
- Slides should discuss: overview of the health care organization; types of health care information system the organization uses; and how these systems impact patient outcomes, quality, and/or safety.
- Provide speaker notes to support your slides.
- Provide references from at least 3 scholarly articles (peer-reviewed) and citations. Do not include information from non-scholarly materials such as wikis, encyclopedias, or www.freearticles.com (or similar websites). Use the following link for additional information on how to recognize peer-reviewed journals: http://www.angelo.edu/services/library/handouts/peerrev.php.