- Find a NEWS article that addresses a current political issue of concern to voters in t U.S. There are numerous possibilities, such as immigration, election interference, trade, healthcare, climate change, abortion, corruption, etc. It must, however, be an issue that is not a topic of another one of your essays. (A news article is an article from a media source like a newspaper or magazine such as the New York Times, FOX, The Washington Post, VICE, etc. that addresses a current event. It does not include sources like Wikipedia, eHow, dictionaries, academic journals, or other information websites.)
- Write a minimum 300 word essay that answers the following questions:
- Based on the article you chose, what is the political issue and why is it important to voters in the U.S.?
- How do current political parties in the U.S. stand on the issue? Do you think their stances are reasonable and base in facts, or are they designed to simply appeal to voters’ biases and emotions? (See Chapter 16 for information on political parties.)
- How can social science research be used to better inform politicians and voters about the issue, i.e. where can someone go to get reliable information about the issue to make an informed decision?