What are the main reasons why a VPN is the right solution for protecting the network perimeter? Do they also provide protection for mobile devices? If you do use a VPN, which one and why did you select that particular one? (250 Words)
In no less than 250 words, explain the difference between an access control list (ACL) that is used in routers to block traffic and firewalls. What similarities do they share?
- 12.1 List three design goals for a firewall.
- 12.2 List four techniques used by firewalls to control access and enforce a security policy.
- 12.3 What information is used by a typical packet filtering firewall?
- 12.4 What are some weaknesses of a packet filtering firewall?
- 12.5 What is the difference between a packet filtering firewall and a stateful inspection firewall?
- 12.6 What is an application-level gateway?
- 12.7 What is a circuit-level gateway?
- 12.9 What are the common characteristics of a bastion host?
- 12.10 Why is it useful to have host-based firewalls?
- 12.11 What is a DMZ network and what types of systems would you expect to find on such networks?
- 12.12 What is the difference between an internal and an external firewall?