Race and ethnicity are terms that are commonly confused in everyday life. Furthermore, the concepts of racism, stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination are often topics of discussion without much thought as to their precise meaning. First, discuss in your life how these terms have been used by yourself, friends, and family members and how that usage differs from sociological understanding. Second, comment on whether or not these terms have played a role in your life (positive or negative) and in what manner. Third, imagine that you identify yourself under the label “Hispanic”; given the knowledge presented, how might you respond to the following statement: “But you don’t look Hispanic … !” Fourth and finally, post a response to another classmate’s posting discussing your thoughts in a respectful and thoughtful manner. What stood out to you about their discussion? Can you empathize?
· You are required to first post a response to the discussion board prompt and it must be a minimum of 250 words. Citations, titles, copying questions, references, and other identifying information does not count toward word count.
· You are required to use proper grammar and spelling. When using other sources, citations using APA style are required.
· Direct quotes are not permitted in discussion posting, therefore you must paraphrase and cite. In addition, you must post a discussion response to a student’s discussion posting.
· When responding to a classmate to a classmate, your response needs to be pertinent and of substance. Stating that you agree or disagree is not sufficient. You must substantiate your responses.
· Above all, they must be respectful and worthy of intellectual honesty, sincerity, and humility. Responses must be a minimum of 250 words as well.