Evaluating a critical appraisal of a research framework can help you to assess the theory’s reliability and validity, as well as its applicability to research and practice. For this Discussion, you will select a theoretical framework in a published study to evaluate. In doing this, you will consider how this framework might be applied to a practice problem of interest to you.
- Identify a practice problem of interest to you.
- Locate an article in the Walden Library, or one presented in the Learning Resources, that addresses the practice problem. NOTE: You may wish to select an article that specifies the theoretical framework used in the research study addressing the practice problem.
- Using the strategies presented in Chapter 7 of The Practice of Nursing Research: Appraisal, Synthesis, and Generation of Evidence, critically analyze the selected framework, engaging in “critical appraisal of a research framework,” (p. 127).
- Determine if the use of the selected framework was appropriate.
- Ask yourself: Could I apply this theoretical framework to an evidence-based practice project that addresses my problem of interest?
By Day 3 post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
- Identify the article you reviewed and the theoretical framework used to explore the practice problem.
- Was the framework appropriate for the research? Why or why not?
- What new insights did you gain from your analysis and evaluation of the theory?
- Could you apply this theory to a practice problem in your clinical setting? Why or why not? If not, what other theory might be better suited to a practice problem in which you are interested?