a. Overview: This application practicum will assess the student’s ability to create an essay concerning the Army’s SHARP.
c. Instructions to Soldiers:
NOTE: The SHARP essay is not intended to re-victimize, initiate an unwanted emotional response, or inflict psychological stress on anyone. IAW DODI 6495.02 change 3, and Army Regulation (AR) 600-20, leadership (chain of command or NCO support channel) are always required to report any incidents of sexual assault. Disclosure of information pertaining to an instance of sexual assault in the SHARP essay will be immediately reported to the appropriate authorities outlined within the local SHARP reporting policy. The resulting report will be an unrestricted report.
(1) You will write a two-page (maximum) essay addressing SHARP from within the Army and making recommendations on how leaders at the SGT level can implement potential solutions. The winner will be selected by the commandant and recognized with a certificate of achievement and coin during graduation.
(2) Your essay should address the question, “Why do cases of sexual harassment and sexual assault continue to take place in the Army, despite all the training and education that take place?
(1) Your essay will be formatted as shown below.
I. Introduction (1-2 paragraphs)
A. Opening statement
B. Background information
C. Thesis statement
II. Body (2-4 paragraphs)
A. (Point A) Why does sexual assault occur? Include supporting evidence.
B. (Point B) Does our current approach to training reduce (or not reduce) the risk of sexual assault and harassment? (Could be tied to point A)
C. (Point C) Supporting topic & evidence to support your thesis.
D. (Point D) How do we end sexual violence in the military (recommendations/solutions)?
III. Conclusion (1-2 paragraphs)
A. Summarize the main points.
B. Make a strong, memorable final statement.
• Essay must be 1-2 pages in length (title page does not count as a page).
• Essay is an individual activity (although peer editing is allowed).
• Essay must contain two references (ARs, personal interviews, peer review articles, etc.).
d. Environmental considerations: Inform Soldiers of any known environmental factors they must observe IAW local SOP.
e. Safety: Ensure Soldiers observe all safety procedures IAW local SOP.