Each student will be assigned two of the case studies below. Your post should be approximately 250 words in length and contain substantive information that contributes to an understanding of the disorder under discussion. You may post graphics from online sources, but please do NOT simply cut and paste entire entries from the internet. You are expected to provide references for all the information cited.
1. Relate history to the diagnosis. What risk factors are present, and how does each predispose to disease?
2. Explain the cause of the disease in this patient.
3. How could this disease have been prevented in this patient?
4. Discuss the complications that might develop in this patient.
5. Discuss the treatments available to the patient.
6. What is the probable prognosis for this patient?
Case Study# 1: A 27-year-old male who works on a construction site visits his family physician three days after suffering a puncture wound from a nail gun in his foot. The site of the injury is painful, red, warm and swollen with evidence of pus. There are reddish streaks extending up his ankle and lower leg. His temperature is 101 °F.