Assignment: Chi Square
Previously in this course, you worked with parametric statistics like t-tests, ANOVAs, and correlations. In order to use parametric procedures such as those, the dependent variable must be measured on either an interval or a ratio scale. Sometime, however, the variables of interest are categorical; that is, they are not measured on an interval or a ratio scale. For example, the categorical variables of gender, race, or political affiliation are not measured with interval or ratio scales. For this Assignment, you will examine the nonparametric procedure called chi square, which allows you to analyze categorical data.
To prepare for this Assignment, imagine that you have information about how 20 nursing students and 20 psychology students felt about starting PSYC 3002 on Day 1 of this class. You want to know if nursing students and psychology students felt differently about embarking on the Introduction to Basic Statistics journey. You can find the data set for this Assignment in the Weekly Data Set forum found in the Discussions area of the course navigation menu.
By Day 7
To complete this Assignment, submit your answers to the following. Use SPSS to determine if academic program is related to feelings about PSYC 3002 by computing the appropriate chi square test.
- Recall the four scales of measurement you learned about in Week 1 (i.e., nominal, ordinal, interval, ratio). Explain what scale of measurement is used to measure academic program in this example. How do you know?
- Explain what scale of measurement is used to measure feeling about PSYC 3002. Explain how you know.
- State whether this scenario requires a goodness of fit test or a test of independence. Explain your answer.
- Before computing the chi square, state the null hypothesis and alternative hypothesis in words (not formulas).
- Identify the obtained χ2 using SPSS and report it in your answer document.
- State the degrees of freedom and explain how you calculated it by hand.
- Identify the p value using SPSS and report it in your answer document.
- Explain whether you should retain or reject the null hypothesis and why.
- Are the results statistically significant? How do you know?
- Explain what you can determine about the relationship between academic program and feelings about PSYC 3002.
Be sure to fully explain the rationale for your answer to each question, including evidence from the text and Learning Resources.
Provide an APA reference list.
Submit three documents for grading:
- Your text (Word) document with your answers and explanations to the assignment questions, your SPSS Data file, and your SPSS Output file, your SPSS Data file , and your SPSS Output file.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Click the Week 6 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the first document you want to attach (your Word doc, SPSS Data file, or SPSS Output file) and click Open. Repeat this for the remaining two documents.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.