The goal of this assignment is to learn about a new molecular biology tool called CRISPR which scientist say is “A game-changing genetic engineering technique”. To support your contribution to the discussion board:
- Read this recent article published in the New York Times:
- In U.S. First, Scientists Edit Genes of Human Embryos
- Do some research to understand what CRISPR is and how it works. Learn about the applications, the possibilities and the controversy of its potential uses.
- Tell somebody you know (family, friend, colleague…) about CRISPR. Explain to them how it works and its uses. Find out what they think about CRISPR being a tool that could help babies avoid inherited diseases, or cure cancer patients, or treat HIV infections and ask them how they feel about the use of CRISPR to edit human embryos.
- Your response should include:
- Short definition of CRISPR.
- A link to one of the resources you used to learn about CRISPR.
- A summary of your experience on sharing information about CRISPR with your listener.
- Length = 300 words