Unit 5 Assignment: Wireless Security
Outcomes addressed in this activity:
- Explain several network security protocols and their similarities and differences.
- Differentiate a variety of network security and management tools.
- Distinguish the most appropriate network security design for a given scenario.
- Describe methods of implementing firewalls and IDS systems.
- Analyze network administration tools and examine their significance in a range of network environments.
IT530-4: Explore management aspects of protocols and topologies.
A hard-wired LAN is relatively simple to secure while protecting data that travels across a wireless network can be more difficult. In this assignment, you will examine appropriate security measures to be taken when accessing wireless networks.
Wireless networks are much more common now than was true 5 to 10 years ago. There are wireless networks available in coffee shops, airports, and hotels, as well as a variety of other public venues. In addition, many home users now have wireless networks to connect a broad range of devices, such as smartphones, tablets, and computers within their dwelling. Consider your own use of wireless networks; do you use a smartphone or a tablet? Do your methods of securing your handheld devices differ from any methods that you may use when connecting wirelessly with a computer? Do you use a wireless network at your workplace? If so, what methods are used in your workplace for securing the wireless “cloud”? Would you suggest any improvements in the wireless security that you use for home and/or work?
Based on your research, write a 3–5 page paper that researches the concept of wireless security, as well as providing an analysis and comparison of several wireless security technologies currently available.
All papers must meet these standard requirements:
- Paper follows APA formatting.
- Length is 3–5 pages long not including references and cover page.
- As you research the paper, ALL of the pages must have citations and references.
- No more than three bulleted or listed points per paper.
- Bulleted lists without substantial narrative included are strongly discouraged.
- No more than one direct quotation (of 40 words or more) per page from a reference source and those quotes must be properly cited within the body and in the references at the end of the paper.
- References are required for all sources, and all figures and tables must be captioned in APA format.
- Title page
- Reference page
Answers contain sufficient information to adequately answer the questions and contain no spelling, grammar, or APA errors. Points deducted from grade for each writing, spelling, or grammar error are at your instructor’s discretion.
For more information and examples of APA formatting, APA Style Central in the Academic Tools of the course.
Also review the Policy on Plagiarism. This policy will be strictly enforced on all applicable assignments and discussion posts. If you have any questions, please contact your professor.
Directions for Submitting Your Assignment
Compose your Assignment in a Microsoft Word document and save it as Username_IT530_Assignment_Unit#.doc (Example: TAllen_IT530_Assignment_Unit_5.doc). Submit your file by selecting the Unit 5: Assignment Dropbox by the end of Unit 5.